Farley Hill National Park
there was the Grenade Hall Plantation in the sugar business in the
1600s. Sometime in 1800, 30 acres of land was used by the Briggs
Family to build the Farley Hill great house of Grenade Hall.
Graham Briggs built the mansion in order to entertain, which he did in
grand style - his royal visitors visited Barbados in the 1800s.
original Georgian mansion, Grenade Hall was built in the 1800s by
Joseph Lyder Briggs, who gave it to his son Thomas Graham Briggs in
1856. After his marriage, Graham Briggs added the south wing, the
library, dining room along with a billiard room and bedrooms to the
house and then named it "Farley Hill". The building was said to have 99
The Barbados Farley Hill mansion was named after an English school, where Graham Briggs had spent many happy times.
After Graham Briggs died, the mansion continued to be occupied until the early 1900s, when it became a rental property.
1940, the property had deteriorated and was in desperate need of
repairs - then Hollywood came calling in 1956...they needed Farley Hill
for some of the sequences of the film Island in the Sun, so the mansion
was given a Hollywood face lift.
In 1965, a fire destroyed the
mansion, leaving just walls. It is not clear how the fire started, but
it was partly fueled by the combustible material left by Hollywood.
The ruins at Farley Hill became a National Park and was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1966.
park contains large specimen trees, fruit trees, ferns and palms.
There is seating scattered throughout the park. The Farley Hill
National Park in St. Peter, is maintained by the Barbados National