Sightseeing In Bridgetown, St. Michael Parish, Barbados
National Heroes Square'sinauguration Day was on April 28,1998. The Square had originally beennamed Trafalgar Square in 1806.
The War Memorial (Cenotaph) honouring Barbados' Servicemen who lost their lives in Worlds I & II, is also found in National Heroes Square.
Visitors can learn about the ten national heroes of Barbados at the
A National Heroes Gallery, which has been added to the West
Wing of the Parliament Buildings. View works by local artists.
Bussa, an African slave, captured and shipped to Barbados, led a revolt
on the Bayley Plantation in April 1816. With about 400 slaves they fought for
their freedom, however they were defeated and many lost their lives.
No-one knows for sure what his real name was.
In 1985, 169 years after the rebellion the Emancipation Statue of Bussa, the
symbol of Freedom, was unveiled. It can be viewed at St. Barnabas Roundabout
at the intersection of the ABC Highway and Highway 5, Bridgetown.
Emancipation Day in Barbados is August 1st and a Public Holiday.
The Nelson’s Statue in Bridgetown, was erected in 1813, about 27 years before Nelson’s in London’s Trafalgar Square.
The Fountainin Heroes Square was erected to celebrate the start of piped waterthroughout Bridgetown. Currently no water is stored in thefountain.
Barbados received its Independence from the United Kingdom on November 30, 1966. The Independence Arch was displayed to commemorate the 21st anniversary. It is erected on the Chamberlain Bridge which spans the Careenage.
Before the Chamberlain Bridge & Independence Arch, there was the The Swing Bridge,erected at the narrowest point of the river. Later it was removed inorder to build a more substantial crossing which the settlers named theIndian Bridge. This inadequate structure suffered several times fromeither hurricane or fire. In 1700 it was destroyed by a flood. It wasrebuilt 60 years later and named New Bridge. After being demolishedseveral more times, it was finally replaced as a swinging bridge in1872. In 2005, the Chamberlain Bridge was dismantled to make way for a state of the art lift bridge.
The Constitution River runs & ends inland and connects to the Careenage which empties into Carlisle Bay.
Two bridges now span the Careenage & Constitution River. The [inland] bridge is the Charles Duncan O'Neal Bridge and the other is Chamberlain Bridge.
The Careenage was sonamed, because back in the old days, the ships were tilted [over] orcareened to have their bottoms scrapped. Boats now head out from hereto catch dinner! As well, there are yachts and you can charter a boatto take you fishing.
The Pierhead and Willoughby's Fortas well as the Coast Guards, are housed at the westernmost end of theCareenage. Very soon now, the more than 300 coast guard officers willbe moving into their new modern headquarters at the Flour Mill site,Spring Garden, St Michael.
The Parliament Buildingsof Barbados, on the eastern end of Broad Street, built of local corallimestone, were completed in 1874. These buildings house the House ofAssembly and the Senate.
| The Barbados Public Library act was passed in 1847. Well known philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie donated funds to establish a free library for the people of Barbados. It was the first Carnegie Free Library in the British West Indies. |
The name was changed in 1985 to National Library Service. On Coleridge Street, a 'stone's throw' from the Supreme Court and Law Court of Barbados
|Broad Street,Bridgetown, is the major shopping area and commercial centre ofBarbados. You will find the Malls here - Cave Shepherd, Da Costa,Harrison's and others as well as upscale shops and boutiques. |
| St Michael’s Cathedral, St. Michael's Row, Bridgetown, 427-0790. |
The present church was built in 1789 and became a cathedral in 1825.Its arched roof was at one time the widest in the world. Many famousBarbadians are buried here.
|The Jewish Synagogue, Synagogue Lane, 432-0840. |
The Synagogue is believed to be the oldest in the Western Hemisphere,originally built in 1654, it was demolished in the hurricane of 1831and re-constructed in 1833. There is an adjoining Cemetery, with gravesdating to the 1660s. The property is now held by the Barbados NationalTrust.
The first synagogue on the site was built by Jews fromBrazil, who were fleeing from Portuguese lands to English territoriesduring the Inquisition.
Visit the Nidhe Israel Synagogue Museum to learn about Jewish culture on the island of Barbados.
|Queen's Park, Constitution Road, Bridgetown, 427-2345. |
This was the residence of the General commanding the British Troops inthe West Indies. Sometime later it was taken over by the Government whoturned it into a park.
On the grounds of the Park, is a large tree,if not the largest in Barbados, it's a “Baobab” approximately 18 metres (about 50ft.) in circumference, and estimated to be over 200 yearsold. Native to Africa, there are no records explaining when it wasplanted or by whom.
|Tyrol Cot Heritage Village. |
Constructed in 1854, it was home to Sir Grantley Adams, Barbados’ firstpremier, “Father of Democracy” and only Prime Minister of the WestIndies Federation, and Lady Adams in 1929.
The home is filledwith the lifetime collection of Adams’ antiques and memorabilia. Thehouse is the centerpiece of The Heritage Village, an outdoor-livingmuseum. Tyrol Cot Heritage Village is open Monday through Friday, 9:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; admission fee.
|The Montefiore Fountain, Coleridge Street. |
The Fountain was presented to the thirty way-farers of Bridgetown, byJohn Montefiore, in memory of his father John Castello Montefiore.
His son, John Jr. who looked after the English side of the businessgave the Drinking Fountain, made of cast iron, to the people ofBarbados, and it was originally located in Beckwith Place, until it wasmoved to its present location in 1940. The Fountain was installed in1864 and opened on November 02, 1865.
| Barbados Museum and Historical Society, St. Ann’s Garrison, St. Michael. |
In a former military prison of St. Ann's Garrison, the Barbados Museum& Historical Society has been acquiring objects for over sixdecades, and currently possess in excess of 250,000 artifacts includingdocuments and records that are of cultural, historical andenvironmental importance to Barbados and the region.
The Education Department offers programs for teachers and students,both at the primary and secondary school levels. The Museum providestraining services to students at the university level throughinternships that offer exposure to several aspects of collectionsmanagement.
The Library of theMuseum also facilitates the general public in their research,particularly in the areas of family history and genealogy,architecture, natural history, Caribbean history, art history,transport and famous personalities. There is a special gallery forchildren.
The Museum is located at the Garrison in the old military detention barracks, erected in 1853.
Garrison Historic Area & The National Cannon Collection, St Michael, 430-0900.
The Garrison Historic Area represents military history of Barbados,with many of the buildings dating back to the 1640s. The GarrisonHistoric Area is located within a short distance of both the capitalcity Bridgetown and Hastings located in the neighbouring parish ofChrist Church.
The National Cannon Collection represents a large collection of 17th century English iron cannons.
TheGarrison Historic Area includes Military Cemetery, Charles Fort, StAnn’s Fort, The Main Guard, The National Cannon Collection, TheGarrison Savannah and The Barbados Museum and Historical Society.
On17th January, 1652, the Charter of Barbados setting out the conditionsof surrender was ratified at Ye Mermaid's Inn. A replica of the MermaidInn is in the area.
|Bush Hill House,228-5461 or 228-5710. Near the Garrison Savannah, George Washingtonrented a home near the Garrison Savannah in 1751. The house has beenrestored by the Barbados National Trust. Read all about it athttp://www.georgewashingtonbarbados.org |
|Medford Craft Village, Lower Barbarees Hill, 427-3179. |
Mahogany masters create hand carved boats, fish, palm trees and othersmall mahogany figurines before your very eyes. Visitors are freeto watch, photograph or video tape the craftsmen as they work in andamong piles of mahogany.
| Mount Gay Rum, Spring Garden Highway, 425-8757. |
Walk through time and discover the secret behind Barbados’ finest andmost celebrated golden spirit – the 300-year-old Mount Gay Rum. See thehuge copper pot stills, view the methodical assembly line that perfectsfilling, capping, sealing, labeling and packing, then it's time totaste!
| Seafari Adventures Barbados, Bush Hall Main Road, 429-5337. |
Experience the thrill of REAL Off-shore power boating with the Islandsmost exciting and fastest adventure ride! The authentic speciallydesigned 55' Power Boat carries 40 "adventurers" at speeds of up to 50 mphin complete safety and comfort.
|Harry Bayley Observatory, Barbados Astronomical Society, Highway 6, Clapham. |
View stars through the reflector telescope.
- Chamberlain Bridge & Independence Arch (Photo by Regani)
Things to Do Home
|Sightseeing or Things To Do In St. John, St. Joseph & St. Lucy |
Sightseeing or Things To Do In St. Peter, St. Philip & St. Thomas
Sports: Cricket, Basketball, Rugby & Football
Dive, Snorkel and Get Lessons, page 1
Dive, Snorkel and Get Lessons, page 2
Dive, Snorkel and Get Lessons, page 3
Dive, Snorkel and Get Lessons, page 4
Fish, Play Field Hockey, Drive in a Rally, Shoot at Targets, in Barbados
Online booking can be made for on-the-water tours
Online booking can be made for land tours
| Sightseeing or things to do in St. Michael |
Golfing in Barbados
Cruising in Barbados
More Cruising in Barbados
Lots of Games to Play in Barbados
Waterskiing, Parasailing & Boogie Boarding
Tour Operators, page 1
Tour Operators, page 2
Hop From Island to Island!
Cycle, Play Tennis & Squash, Take a Trek and Hike, in Barbados
Surf, Kitesurf, Windsurf and Kayaking
Book Your Diving Adventure, Online.